Lake Junaluska is an unincorporated community under the direction of the Lake Junaluska Assembly, Inc. Board of Trustees located in Haywood County, North Carolina. It is home to the Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center, a beloved spiritual retreat center for more than 100 years, as well as a residential community. The mission of Lake Junaluska Assembly, Inc. is to be a place of Christian hospitality where lives are transformed through renewal of soul, mind and body. This hospitality is provided to ALL persons without discrimination.
The Lake Junaluska Conference and Retreat Center grounds are open to the public and include a lakeside hotel, historic inn, gift and coffee shop, vacation rentals, golf course, walking trails, gardens, boat rentals, lake cruises, wildlife viewing, and panoramic vistas. To learn more, visit www.lakejunaluska.com.
Lake Junaluska had its beginnings in 1908 with the Laymen’s Conference of The Methodists Episcopal Church, South, where it was decided that a great Assembly should be built in the Southeast. On June 25, 1913, the first conference took place on the new Assembly grounds - the Second General Missionary Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South. By the end of 1913, thirteen private homes had been built, the large auditorium finished and the dam completed.
Today, there are approximately 880 residential property owners and about half of these are year-round residents. The total area of Lake Junaluska's grounds is about 1,200 acres, with the lake itself measuring approximately 200 acres at an elevation of 2,560 feet above sea level. The dam is 900 feet long and 60 feet high at the highest point. Lake Junaluska Assembly Public Works provides a variety of services to the community, including water/sewer service, stormwater management, street maintenance, and garbage collection.
The Lake Junaluska community is blessed with several active resident organizations:
- The Junaluska Assembly Community Council (JACC) is an elected council that advises Assembly Public Works.
- Lake Junaluska Assembly Property Owners Organization Inc. (LJAPOO) meets regularly to provide a forum for property owner concerns.
- The Junaluskans is a service organization with monthly morning meetings and evening dinners.
Lake Junaluska welcomes support from volunteers! Learn more about how you can share your time and talents to support the mission of ministry of Lake Junaluska at lakejunaluska.com/volunteer.
Lake Junaluska offers recreational experiences, shopping, dining, vacation rentals, lodging and more. To learn more, visit the Lake Junaluska website at lakejunaluska.com.
- Junaluska Gifts & Grounds
- Lake Junaluska Walking Trail
- Places of Meditation & Gardens
- Boat Tours
- Canoe, Kayak & Paddleboard Rentals
- Swimming Pool
- Lake Junaluska Golf Course
- Tennis/Pickleball Courts
- Mini Golf
- Lake Junaluska Fitness Center
- Lake Junaluska Library
- Lake Junaluska Vacation Rentals
- The Terrace Hotel at Lake Junaluska
- Lambuth Inn at Lake Junaluska
- Map of Lake Junaluska (pdf)
- Lake Junaluska Assembly, Inc. financial information can be reviewed
in-person at the Assembly Public Works Office at 19 Sleepy Hollow Road.
- Assembly Public Works financial updates, including capital budget plans, are
provided monthly at the Junaluska Assembly Community Council. The
approved minutes to those meetings are available on this website under the
“Junaluska Assembly Community Council” tab.