Look here to find information on current projects happening in our community.
"Subscribe" and receive updates on our Current Projects the minute they are posted. It's easy!
Oxford Road Water & Sewer Replacement, & Paving
January 11, 2021
We are currently in Phase 1 of this project, with a portion of water line having been replaced.
Meter Replacement Program
May 01, 2018
The Meter Replacement Program began a few years ago, and we are nearing completion. All manual, analog water meters are being replaced wtih ultrasonic, radio-read electronic meters. We have completed installation of about 80% of the system, and will be installing the remaining 20% throughout 2021.
Golf Course Road Water Line Replacement
January 19, 2021
This project replaces the old, leaky galvanized water line that ran through the golf course, extending water service from Holston Village Road to Golf Course Road. A new tap will be made on the main line at Holston Village, a new line will cross the golf course just as the old one did, and will be extended to all homes on Golf Course Road currently supplied by APW. To connect each home to the new line, new taps will be created and new service lines will be bored under Golf Course Road. Waynesville Public Works has agreed to install a fire hydrant at the first tight curve where APW service ends and their service begins. An ETA on its installation is TBD.
Geospatial Information System (GIS) Mapping
November 01, 2020
Equipment has been purchased, and some preliminary mapping has occured. We expect the project to continue through several phases over the next couple years, beginning with water system mapping. As utility and community infrastructure assets are inventoried and mapped, this information will assist APW in countless ways, including:
- Improve field operations by knowing exact locations of important water/sewer system components below the ground.
- Minimizing the risk of line breaks during construction, and subsequent service outages.
- Reducing the time and effort needed to locate and find lines when digging or planning projects.
- Improving the response time during water line breaks and allowing for faster cut-off at valves, resulting in reduced water loss and better isolation of areas affected by shutoffs.
- Optimizing capital project planning/budgeting by assessing and predicting priorities and areas of greatest need based on a variety of GIS-tracked system factors.
- Expanding our work order system by providing customers with new direct reporting capabilities, and allowing field crews to better organize field work based on geographic location.
- Capture and manage information about lead service lines (LSL) and inform the public about the LSL status in the system, as mandated by the EPA's newly revised Lead and Copper Rule.
- Improve customer communication, satisfaction and confidence with new methods to engage, inform and educate the community.